Sunday, May 5, 2013

Do you have an Aunt Bonnie?

(This post was really hard to write. I've been trying to for a week or so now. There's a lot left unsaid. I can't write it.)



Because you need one. Go find one. Aunt Bonnies make awesome lemon/blueberry pound cake. They have the most infectious smile and laugh. They brighten the entire room when they walk in. They are one of the few family members who will sit and listen to you talk about quilts for hours. (And actually be interested!)


But of all the Aunt Bonnies out there, mine is the best. Not only is she an amazing woman, she's a survivor. Years ago, she beat breast cancer. And I mean BEAT IT! She is a warrior.


The problem is, cancer sucks. Late last year, she had to start chemo again. A month or so ago, they stopped it. The damned cancer is in her liver . . . 


The quilting is large and loopy. A few months ago she cracked a few ribs under a heavy blanket. Evidently chemo makes your bones brittle, so I wanted to make it as light as possible. On recomendations from my amazing DMQG friends, I used a wool batting that is super warm, but light.


I need to show her how much I love her. This is the only thing I can do.



Stats:
           Block & Binding fabric: Dolce by Tanya Whelan
           Background: Kona Sky
           Backing: something Robert Kaufman . . . it's been in my stash so long I'm not sure anymore
           Batting: Quilters Dream Wool
           Size: appx. 60"x40"

All pictures are pre-wash.

See ya.
EL


No comments:

Post a Comment