Monday, November 25, 2013

Finish! - Franken-quilt!

I hate this quilt sooooo much!

F-ing Snowflakes

Don't get me wrong, it turned out really cool. I like the way it looks.

More F-ing Snowflakes

But every time I see it I feel frustrated and disappointed.

F-ing Snowflakes

The pattern is from this amazing book called Pixel Play by Emily Cier. The book is full of crazy cool quilts! Every page is so inspired . . . but after making this one, I don't think I'll make any more!

The strips were 1" finished, so I cut HUNDREDS of 1 1/2" strips and squares. To keep them all sorted, I had to use 3 poster boards with the strips organized by length. I did the opposite color palette from the book, so I really had to think about what I was doing (so no wine! boo!).

Dang strips!

The book broke the quilt into 7 sections, each with 10 strips in it. Each section took a solid 3 hours to complete. That's an ENTIRE nap time! I finally quit halfway through my 6th section, so its not as long as it should be, but it's big enough to cover a person on the couch, so I'm fine with it.

One Section, lots of strings!

When I put them together, I knew my strips weren't exactly the same length, but once I put the sections together, I found out they were off by 6 or 7 inches! and it took several cuts to get it squared off once I quilted it, and it's still not exactly square. Again, the whole thing was really frustrating, and it only has 2 colors, so I'm not sure how I would even begin some of the quilts in the book with 7 or 8 different colors!

STILL not square!!!

Anyway, it's at my MIL's house now and she loves it, say that's all that matters.

Finished. And loved.

Washing my hands of it!

Quilt Stats
Name: F-ing Snowflakes!
Size: don't ask. all the sides are different (appx. 59" x 48")
Design: Snowflakes from the book Pixel Play by Emily Cier
Fabric: Kona Snow and Kona something blue - I can't remember which one. (Back is Kate Spain In From The Cold Snowfall in gray)
Completed: October 31, 2013 (The MIL's 60th birthday was 10/30, and we had her party on 11/3, so it was on time!)
Label: I love this, It's a 2013 calendar from a tea-towel off of Spoonflower! I used these for my dad's 60th quilt and for the hubby's 30th quilt, too! (I stole the idea from Imagingermonkey!)

Birthday Label

See ya!
EL

PS: I just realized I haven't done a post for S's 30th quilt! And that was back in May! I'll do one tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment