Thursday, April 9, 2009

Pre-Easter Ramble . . .

I meant to blog last night . . . but I'm leaving town tonight and last night just got away from me with the laundry and packing and spending time with the hubby and cat. So I'm rattling this off during my lunch hour at work so I don't feel blog guilt while I'm with my family for Easter.


First, did you know it's Spring To Finish time at Tallgrass Prairie blog (see button on side bar)? That means we are going to finish at least one UFO (Un-Finished Object) by April 30. Woo Hoo . . . just the inspiration I need! I have several. The first (and most important) is a Monkey Wrench quilt for a new baby. Miles Hess should be born around the 14th, and I wanted to make him this quilt. Sorry, no pics yet; I'm not too happy with it. This is the first quilt I have ever made for someone other than family, so I'm extremely critical. But here's hoping! I also would like to get my Project Improv quilt pieced, more on that below. Finally, I have a quilt top from Moda called Portebello Market I bought as a kit after Christmas. I have it all cut out, but that's all. Maybe I'll get it pieced. I like it because of the name; I know it's supposed to be for a mushroom market, but it reminds me of Bed Knobs and Broomsticks with Angela Lansbury and that song, "Portebello Road".


Next, I finished this pincushion from Elizabeth's (at Oh Fransson) tutorial for Sew Mama Sew. It is awesome! If you look close, you can see 2 little green eyes peeking out from under the table. That would be Ralphie. She is a BIG help, as you can see. I wonder if this counts as a finished project?

Finally, a Project Improv update. I think I have stumbled upon my inspiration. I am typically a very traditional person; I use traditional blocks, I like to piece by hand, and I like vintage looking fabrics, especially ginghams and calicos. But I LOVE applique, I just don't do it often. I am also teaching myself embroidery from this awesome book. I have decided to put these things together. I want to do applique and embroidered "art blocks" and I have chosen the Texas wild flowers as my subject. I'm not drawing anything, I'm just going at it (watch out!). My first block is going to be the flowers below. I have no idea what they are, but they are on the side of every highway, and I love them.


I hope it works. Finally, I leave you with a parting pic of Ralphie "helping" (my material and embroidery floss is in that basket).

Happy Easter!

P.S. A shout out to Codi for helping me with my Aunt's sewing machine. The sewing/quilting community is SO HELPFUL! I'll post more later!







2 comments:

  1. I love the pincushion! It definitely counts as a finished project. Can't wait to see how the wildflowers turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it counts too! I want one- it's adoreable.

    ReplyDelete